Carolina fanwort Cabomba caroliniana
Photo: RPS Group Plc
- Appearance: Perennial freshwater plant, finely dissected leaves and single white flowers.
- Growth: Grows in dense mats, small fragments can regrow.
- Impact: Negative impact on aquatic ecosystems, shades out other plants and can obstruct the movement of animals. Decaying vegetation can reduce water quality leading to the death of fish and other aquatic animals.
- Pathway: Deliberate release or improper disposal of this aquarium plant.
- Legal status: Species of special concern listed under the retained EU Regulation 1143/2014 and the Invasive Alien Species (Enforcement & Permitting) Order 2019.
- What to do if you see Water primrose for sale or other offences being committed: Make a report by following the guidance here.
- What to do if you see this plant in the wild: This is an alert species, record it with a photograph (where possible).