Curly waterweed Lagarosiphon major
Photo: RPS group Plc
- Appearance: Submerged, perennial freshwater plant, strongly curved leaves that spiral or whorl around stem, branching stems up to 3 metres in length.
- Growth: Found in still or slow flowing water, vigorous growth, small fragments can regrow.
- Impact: Negative impact on aquatic ecosystems, outcompetes native plants, affecting biodiversity and causing water quality issues. Can affect the amenity value of lakes and ponds by reducing access.
- Pathway: Deliberate release or improper disposal of this aquarium and pond plant into the wild.
- What to do if you see Curly waterweed for sale or other offences being committed: Make a report by following the guidance here.
- What to do if you see this plant in the wild: Record it with a photograph (where possible).