Floating pennywort Hydrocotyle ranunculoides
- Appearance: Perennial freshwater plant, shiny kidney shaped bluntly toothed leaves (7cm), usually dissected to the middle, fleshy stems. Upright greenish flowers without petals.
- Growth: Vigorous growth forming dense mats that can affect access and impede water flow, small fragments can regrow.
- Impact: Negative impact on aquatic ecosystems, outcompetes native plants, affecting biodiversity, can prevent growth of other aquatic plants, prevent navigation and recreation and cause water quality issues.
- Pathway: Deliberate release or improper disposal of this pond plant into the wild.
- What to do if you see Floating pennywort for sale or other offences being committed: Make a report by following the guidance here.
- What to do if you see this plant in the wild: Record it with a photograph (where possible).